Weeds 4 Sale – Dirt Cheap!
DH replaced the steps leading to our basement, so I took the old boards and painted a sign for the garden – my “step garden” behind my garage. I’ll show you the before and afters of that later, but for now, here is how I did my sign (super easy):
1. Grab a board, any board. I used an old one with chippy paint – very rustic and not good for much else.
2. Hand draw your wording – you don’t have to be perfect. Just write it on and paint the letters with black paint and a little paint brush. I saw this saying on Pinterest – by Shelley at Sow and Dipity. She has so many really cute signs.
3. Take some sand paper and rough it up a bit to make it consistently “worn looking.”
4. Add a little bit of pizazz – add fun stuff like a piece of hardware made into a dragon fly or hand paint a sunflower or bees buzzing around. I used the back piece of a knob from one of my salvage cabinet doors and made a dragon fly. Get creative. I added a little more color to the wording to make it stand out better.
5. Add a hook to hold a garden tool. I hung my clippers. Look around, find a saying you like, personalize with your own little touches and enjoy!
6. Paint on a sealer – to help it survive the constant rainfall and watering, I painted on a couple of coats of sealer tinted with gray paint left over from my painted dresser project. I didn’t use a super sealer because I didn’t care enough to go out and spend the $ on it. Besides, rustic is just fine.
7. Take it out and prop or hang it! I wanted something on my steps holding my planters to add some whimsy.
Shortly, I’ll show you my “behind the garage make over” – as soon as the grass grows and I can show you the whole area. It took me three summers to do and it’s adorable!
Until next time…go out and be amazing!
3 thoughts on “Weeds for Sale – Dirt Cheap! A Fun Garden Sign”
I LOVE this sign……….thank you for sharing. (I just may have a use for one myself, lol)
Thanks – it was super easy to do.
Oh nice idea! Unfortunately i don t have a garden, but a very green balcony that i love to decorate ❤.